Protest against this attack on Zimbabwean socialists
On Saturday the Zimbabwean state attacked a meeting on Egypt of the International Socialist Organization Zimbabwe and arrested everyone there.
Some 52 people representing students, union members and workers were arrested and were being detained at Harare Central prison. Munyararzi Gwisai, Director of the Labor Law Center was among those detained. The state can detain them for 48 hours without laying charges. They were hosting a closed-door meeting at the Labor Law Center in downtown Harare when the police raided the premises. They were discussing the events in the middle east and the fall of Egyptian dictator Mubarak and had just shown a film of the uprising.
They are being individually interrogated and, according to one comrade who saw them briefly this morning, the ring leaders are being beaten.
Send statements of protest to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
People can also call the following numbers to exert pressure – at least to let the powers that be know that people are aware of what is going on.
- Wayne Bvudzijena (police spokesman): +263 11 801 172 (mobile)
- Happyton Bonyongwe (Director of the Central Intelligence Organisation): +263 4 497 849 (home)
- Patrick Chinamasa (minister of “Justice”): 263 4 860 006 (home)
- President’s Office: +263 4 252 440 or +263 4 700 071
- Police Commisioner Augustine Chihuri: +263 4 250 008 (office) or +263 11 808 290 (mobile)
- Home Affairs (police) Minister Kembo Mohadi: +263 11 605 424 (mobile) or +263 4 794628 (office)
- State Security (C.I.O.) Minister Didymus Mutasa: +263 11 200 532 (mobile) or 263 4 774189 (office)